Our new Probate Service for you and your clients
Clarke Bell is authorised by the ICAEW to carry out the reserved legal activity of non-contentious probate in England and Wales.
This is very good news for a lot of Accountants.
Accountants do sometimes assist their clients with producing information for probate, but many are concerned that they might be drifting into prohibited areas. In fact, an Accountant was recently disciplined and fined for undertaking probate activities while not authorised to do so.
However, many Accountants do not want to become authorised to do probate work for a number of very good reasons including:
- the time and resources it takes to complete the application process
- the necessary training, compliance and Professional Indemnity issues
- they do not anticipate sufficient demand from their clients to make it worth while
- a potential negative reaction from local solicitor firms who refer clients to them
- it doesn’t fit in with their current business strategy.